- Qld booze bans don’t breach race laws
QUEENSLAND: In a ruling handed down in Canberra on Wednesday, the court rejected arguments that the management plans, which restrict and sale and possession of alcohol, breach both United Nations and federal racial discrimination laws.
- Merritt gets NSW Origin call-up
RUGBY LEAGUE: South Sydney winger Nathan Merritt is to make his long-awaited State of Origin rugby league debut for NSW as replacement for the suspended Blake Ferguson.
- Hawke could ‘broker Gillard, Rudd deal’
NATIONAL: Prominent Labor figure Peter Beattie believes former prime minister Bob Hawke should be drafted to help resolve the party's leadership crisis.
- Kidney system makes round trip to Africa
HEALTH: An Australian method of improving kidney health has made a 17-year trip to Africa and back, picking up improvements along the way.
- Essential lifeline secures funding for next two years
NEW SOUTH WALES: A vital service which has helped prevent Aboriginal deaths in custody in the state has secured funding for the next two years from the federal Attorney General following a social media campaign launched by the Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT.
NATIONAL: Imagine a world without coal, one where mining companies didn't dig up fossil fuels but instead kept them in the ground where they couldn't be burned.
- Gillard’s minders ‘deluded by Twitter’
- Ex-AFL star ready to represent Nationals
- Beale in, Cooper stays out for Wallabies
- Officer assaulted inmates, WA hearing told
NATIONAL: The former leader singer of Yothu Yindi will be honoured with a state funeral in the Northern Territory later this month.
- The short life of Kiesha Abrahams
- No alternative to Gillard: Labor MPs
- Wirrpanda ready for another brutal contest
- Protesters stake-out Gillard’s WA venue
NATIONAL: Neo-liberalism is a hungry beast and this 21st Century strain of capitalism is shaping the agenda for control of Aboriginal lands, writes JEFF MCMULLEN.
- EVIDENTLY: Searching for the ‘real’ economy on Cape York
- BACKTRACKER: Pass the bucks, not the buck
- LITTLE BLACK DUCK: Standing on the shoulders of giants
- ABORIGINAL INK: A spoonful of land rights
ORIGIN II: The feelgood story of the NSW State of Origin team has also made Queensland strike weapon Greg Inglis happy - for reasons that would wipe the smile off Blues fans' faces.
- Peachey to join Panthers in NRL in 2014
- Origin star Ferguson under investigation
- Possible Qld Origin team changes: Hodges
- Selectors set to stick with beaten Maroons
NATIONAL: The Australian Greens want Aboriginal rock art in Western Australia's Burrup Peninsula to be protected and are pushing for the area to be given world heritage status.
- Huge Kimberley artwork unveiling in Paris
- Yunupingu broke barriers
- Nominations open for national Indigenous music awards
- Aboriginal actresses win big at Logies